The German Film Club is pleased to announce its spring 2013 series, “Playing Hitler”. The series is themed in conjunction with the German department’s upcoming Graduate Student Conference on Laughter.
- February 28: To Be or Not to Be (dir. Ernst Lubitsch, 1942)
- March 14: The Great Dictator (dir. Charles Chaplin, 1940)
- April 4: Mein Führer – Die wirklich wahrste Wahrheit über Adolf Hitler (“My Führer”, dir. Dani Levy, 2007)
- April 18: Die Partei (“The Party”, dir. Andreas Coerper and Martin Sonneborn, 2009)
All meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. in Dwinelle B4, which is located in the basement on the southeast corner of the building.
Our fall 2012 series was “Literaturverfilmungen des 20. Jahrhunderts / 20th Century Literary Film Adaptations”. We explored a variety of mostly 20th Century German literary texts in the form of films made during the same century.
- September 26: Sonnenallee (“Sun Alley”, dir. Leander Hauβmann, 1999)
- October 10: Woyzeck (dir. Werner Herzog, 1979)
- October 24: Die 3 Groschen-Oper (“The 3 Penny Opera”, dir. Georg Wilhelm Pabst, 1931)
- November 7: Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum (“The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”, dir. Margarethe von Trotta/Volker Schlöndorff, 1975)
- November 28: Der junge Törless (“Young Torless”, dir. Volker Schlöndorff, 1966)