WHAT: 2018 Commencement ceremony for the following participating departments: Celtic Studies, Comparative Literature, French, German, Italian Studies Program, Scandinavian, Slavic, and Spanish & Portuguese.
WHEN: Monday, May 14, 2018, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
WHERE: Ceremony will take place at the Zellerbach Playhouse.
WHO: Students completing their BA, MA, and PhD degrees in Fall 2017 and Spring, Summer, or Fall 2018. Students may participate only once.
What you need to know:
- KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Professor Timothy Hampton, Aldo Scaglione and Marie M. Burns Distinguished Professorship of French and Comparative Literature, and Director of the Doreen B. Townsend Center for the Humanities.
- DEGREE LIST (Undergraduates only): N/A
- DIPLOMAS: Diplomas will be available at 120 Sproul Hall approximately four months after your “official” graduation. There is a form to fill out and a fee to pay if you request that your diploma be mailed to you. See the Office of the Registrar for more information.
- CEREMONY: The ceremony will run for approximately two to two-and-a-half hours, with a main speaker, a (very) brief presentation by each department, and the conferral of each department's degrees.
Tickets for Commencement are available for purchase at the Zellerbach Box Office and online here: https://secure-tickets.
berkeley.edu/single/ eventDetail.aspx?p=13503 Due to limited seating, there is a limit of 4 tickets per graduate. Tickets are $5 each. Guests may select a free ticket for children (ages 5 and under). Tickets ordered online or by phone may be claimed at the box office, located in Zellerbach Hall during regular hours or beginning an hour before the ceremony at the Playhouse Box Office will call. Remaining unsold tickets will also be available for purchase at the Zellerbach Playhouse Box Office on the day of commencement. Tickets may also be delivered via U.S. Mail. Students participating in the ceremony do not need a ticket. Admission to Zellerbach Playhouse is first come, first seated; doors will open at approximately 8:30am for guests.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: GradImages is the official photographer for this ceremony. Students participating in Commencement are asked to pre-register for the “University of CA Berkeley Languages” ceremony with GradImages so that they can be contacted after the ceremony. All students who have pre-registered will receive their picture proofs via email within 24 hours. Each email will contain the student’s pin number, which can be used to access that student’s pictures on GradImages’ website. Students will also receive a picture proof in the mail 3-5 business days after the commencement ceremony. Students who would like their proof to be sent to any family members or friends are welcome to visit GradImages to register those family members or friends. There are two ways to order, online or by phone at 1-800-261-2576.
- RECEPTION: ISHI COURT
- REGALIA: Cap and gown sets are available for purchase only through the Special Services Department at the Cal Student Store (510-642-9000, extension 681) beginning in late March and continuing through May. The charge for BA regalia is approximately $50.00; for MA regalia, it is $99; and for PhD regalia, it is $123. PhD candidates who wish to purchase official regalia may do so through the Cal Student Store.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: Graduation announcements are formal notices to send to family and friends announcing your graduation. Announcements come in two forms: generic or personalized. For more information, see the eFollett website.
- PARKING: We will post more information closer to the commencement date. In the meantime, visit the campus Parking & Transportation website for information.
Contact Information for Various Departments:
- Comparative Literature: Tony Soyka
- German & Dutch: Nadia Samadi
- Spanish & Portuguese: Jenny Cole