26th Meeting of the Semiotic Circle of California
1/22/2011, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Faculty Club, Seaborg Room
- 9:00 a.m. Meredith Kolar (UC Berkeley): "Beer and Bewilderment: Decoding the Other Brew"
- 9:20 a.m. Gabe Trop (Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill): "The Dissonances of Perfection: Perception and Temporality in Hölderlin’s Last Poems"
- 9:40 a.m. William Pencak (Penn State Univ.): "Michael Beer and Meyerbeer: The Jewish Influence on L’Africaine"
- 10:00 a.m. Jenna Ingalls (UC Berkeley): "Some Kinds of Blue: Blue in Itzik Manger’ s Poetry"
- 10:20 a.m. W. G. Kudszus (UC Berkeley): "'Disiecti membra poetae': On Hamann’s Translatology"
- 10:40 a.m. Eric Savoth (UC Berkeley): "Outside Thought: Meillassoux, Uexküll, Peirce"
- 11:00 a.m. Norbert Wiley (Univ. of Illinois, Urbana): "The American Self: From a Racist Constitution to a Reasonably Egalitarian Self (at least in theory) today"
- 11:20 a.m. Michael St. Clair (UC Berkeley): "Fieldwork in Scandinavia"
- 1:00 p.m. W. C. Watt (UC Irvine): "Firstness and Halfness"
- 1:20 p.m. Jay Mootz (William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas): "'Die Sache' as the Ground of Meaning"
- 1:40 p.m. Ellen McCracken (UC Santa Barbara): "Enhanced E-books: Semiotic Approaches to New Modes of Reading Literature on Portable Electronic Devices"
- 2:00 p.m. David O’ Rourke (The Tatra Project): "Language Manipulation as a Tool of Repression in the Soviet Occupied Baltics"
- 2:20 p.m. Denise Warren (UC San Diego): "Kiss Me Deadly and its Polysemic Clue: 'Remember Me'"
- 2:40 p.m. Jan M. Broeckman (Penn State Law): "The 'Law and Semiotics' Discourse"
- 3:00 p.m. Yael Almog (UC Berkeley): "The Hermeneutic Failure: The Protest against Interpretation Practices in Droste-Hülshoff’s Die Judenbuche"
- 3:20 p.m. Irmengard Rauch (UC Berkeley): "On Transcultural Sound Iconism and Sound Symbolism"
- 3:40 p.m. Alain J.-J. Cohen (UC San Diego): "Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959). Destroyed City. Destroyed Mind."